Our client is a major Lexington, KY based energy company who is currently looking for a key professional for a Senior Electrical Engineer - System Protection and Control. They would prefer 10+ years of substation field experience required. This position requires a Bachelor in Electrical Engineer with 5+ years with a PE with experience in system protection and control with a majority of this experience in electric power system engineering. Or a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering with 10+ years experience in system protection and control from an ABET accredited school with experience in electric power system engineering. This experience should be with electric generation and transmission that generate electric power and service centers for local power lines and substations support. The responsibilities would be 50% field work and 50% office. Candidates for this opportunity MUST BE US CITIZENS OR PERMANENT GREEN CARD HOLDERS, NO SPONSORSHIP IS AVAILABLE! The company provides an outstanding compensation and excellent work environment and benefit package. The company is anxious to hire!
Senior Electrical Engineer - System Protection and Control
- To provide and perform expert engineering services for the capital improvement and maintenance of the transmission and/or generation assets of company. To successfully manage projects in a safe, timely and cost effective manner. Serves as a technical representative in a variety of public and corporate settings
- Responsible for developing reports and work plans which recommend action considering short- and long-range objectives, economic and budget considerations, etc.
- Responsible for the training and development of other less experienced engineers.
- Develops and coordinates individual project work plans and manages through completion taking needed corrective action. Informs Supervisor and Department Manager of any major developments or changes in direction of the project.
- Responsible for being knowledgeable of all Departmental, Divisional and Cooperative goals and developing projects that will aid in their achievement.
- Maintains awareness of all relevant RUS procedures, specifications, NEMA, NEC, NESC, ANSI, IEEE, etc., applicable standards.
- Maintains technical expertise and awareness of field by staying abreast of the industry.
- Initiates status report for all assigned projects and keeps Management informed on progress.
- Assists in preparing monthly and weekly status reports for the section.
- Manages multiple projects including the preparation of job status reports on projects for review.
- Collaborates on the preparation of work plans and monitors actual progress of applicable portions, taking any corrective action required.
- Organizes and sponsors training sessions and seminars for Engineer Technicians, construction crews, and other Engineers.
- Prepares work order estimates.
- Prepares cost estimates on certain projects for submittal to Accounting and Planning Departments.
- Prepares construction specifications and contracts.
- Creates corporate standards and specification related to respective expertise.
- Technical representative for department in meetings with public businesses, members, vendors, contractors, and other utilities.
- Provides engineering support for Members and Cooperatives, at large.
- Develops written testimony and provides oral testimony in legal and regulatory settings as required.
- Requires mature engineering knowledge and judgment of sound engineering practices and standards.
- Maintains drawings and files concerning department projects.
- Maintains awareness of all relevant RUS procedures, specifications, and applicable standards.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Provides technical assistance/support for system protection and power engineering to members systems, G&T Operations, G & T Maintenance, Generation Production and Transmission planning.
- Prepares construction, equipment, and material specification and provides project management for protection and control projects in G&T Expansion and/or Generation Production.
- Investigates and develops new technologies and ideas in system protection in order to improve reliability.
- Develops and/or applies new technologies to transmission facilities to achieve an acceptable level of power quality.
- Provides all NERC / SERC compliance support related to transmission system protection standards (PRC standards) and SERC PCS committee representation.
- Develops and works with digital computer programs as needed (fault/relay coordination studies, loss evaluations, and digital fault record analysis, relay setting database management).
- Provides system protection inputs in establishing the arrangement and location of substation facilities.
- Designs electrical one-line, three-line, relaying schematics, cabling requirements, and control house layout drawings for transmission facilities.
- Provides protective relay settings as required for new transmission/ distribution substations and upgrades. Modifies existing relay settings as required to re-establish proper coordination.
- Performs routine and area coordination studies for foreign utility entities and system facilities upgrades.
- Performs analysis of system disturbances and mis-operations to determine proper operation of the protection scheme.
- Provides emergency technical support/callout, when required, during system outages/events.
- Designs and manages the installation of transmission facility replacements and upgrades (breaker, transformer, various protection system upgrades and fault recorder installations).
- Advises, coordinates and works together with Relay technicians, Substation technicians, SCADA/Meter technicians and Communications technicians to develop and maintain adequate training standards and work procedures related to protection and control systems.
- Coordinates control system field testing (phasing tests, directional tests, SCADA tests, functional tests, and continuity tests) for all transmission and distribution facilities.
- Develops bidding documents, evaluates, and establishes low bidder on substation equipment. This would also include reviewing vendor drawings.
- Maintains and coordinates contracts with equipment/material suppliers and monitors progress, expediting as required to meet schedules.
· Monitors and assesses protective system performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited school required. Registered Professional Engineering license in the Commonwealth of Kentucky preferred. Based upon company's business needs, a specific discipline may be determined upon the posting of this position.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible engineering work experience required, with the majority of this experience in the area of electric power system engineering.
Skills and Abilities:
- Requires mature engineering knowledge and judgment in the area of protection and control, in a T&D and/or power plant environment.
- Requires knowledge of good engineering practices and standards.
- Requires knowledge of T&D and/or power plant Protection and Control installations, operations and maintenance procedures.
- Requires knowledge of contract procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to make responsible decisions in the execution of contract requirements.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and prepare system and equipment manuals, schematic diagrams, and engineering drawings.
- Must have the ability to work with other departmental staff and supervisors in carrying out plans, construction contracts, etc.
- Must have the ability to think logically and creatively and to understand instructions on specific objectives, any complex features, and possible solutions, and formulate good engineering work.
- Must be able to plan, schedule, conduct, or coordinate detailed phases of engineering.
- Demonstrated project management skills and effective communication skills.
| || |
| || |
| ||Key Competencies: |
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Contributing to Team Success
- Decision Making
- Gaining Commitment
- Customer Focus
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Works in and around operating plant and construction environments where environmental demands include: dust, noise, fumes, rough/uneven terrain, extreme temperatures, etc.
- This position often works at heights; regularly lifts up to 20 pounds; and occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds.
- Travel in and outside the system may be required. Travel may be overnight.
- Some work outside normal hours and some overnight travel required. Subject to emergency call in.
- Requires mature engineering knowledge and judgment.
· Requires knowledge of good engineering practices and standards.